Arab League holds emergency meeting to discuss Gaza war



An emergency meeting of the Arab League was held in the Egyptian capital Cairo on Wednesday to discuss Israel’s ongoing offensive in the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian representative Mahend Aklulo addressed the meeting and warned Israel against launching a ground attack on the city of Rafah at the southern tip of the Gaza Strip, where more than 1.4 million people have taken refuge due to Israel’s war.

“Israeli attacks will have a serious impact on the city’s more than one million displaced people,” he said.

Despite international opposition, Israel announced plans to invade Rafah, one of the last major communities in the enclave to survive a ground invasion.

Aklulo said Israel refused to implement the UN Security Council resolution on a ceasefire in Gaza during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

“We call on the UN Security Council to force Israel to cease fire in Gaza and impose sanctions on the occupation,” he added.

The United Nations Security Council passed a resolution on March 25 calling for a ceasefire in Gaza during Ramadan. While Hamas welcomed the resolution, Israel vowed to continue its war in Gaza until it destroys the Palestinian organization.

Palestine called Wednesday’s meeting to discuss Arab and international action to stop Israel’s “policy of genocide and starvation and displacement” against Palestinians.

Israel has launched a deadly military offensive in the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023, when Hamas cross-border attacks killed approximately 1,200 people.

Since then, at least 32,975 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 75,577 injured amid massive destruction and shortages of essential supplies. Israel has imposed a severe blockade on the Gaza Strip, leaving its people, especially those in northern Gaza, on the verge of starvation.

See also  Nvidia pursues $30 billion in custom chip opportunities with new unit

According to the United Nations, Israel’s war has displaced 85 percent of Gaza’s population amid severe shortages of food, clean water and medicine, while 60 percent of the enclave’s infrastructure has been damaged or destroyed.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ), which has accused Israel of genocide, last week ordered Israel to do more to prevent famine in Gaza.



Source link

By Ali Raza

I am a dedicated and skilled News Content Writer with a passion for delivering accurate and engaging stories to a diverse audience. With a solid background in journalism and a keen eye for detail, I bring a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *