Israel’s illegal West Bank settlement plans face global condemnation



Israel’s plans to build thousands of new homes in the occupied West Bank have been widely condemned by several countries, including some of Tel Aviv’s staunchest allies.

The country’s settlement planning agency on Wednesday approved the construction of nearly 3,500 new illegal settlement housing units in the occupied Palestinian territory, the first such approval since Israel’s war on Gaza began on October 7 last year.

Israeli settlements have long been viewed by the international community as violations of international law and obstacles to Palestinian statehood. Officials said the latest construction planned in Maale Adumim, Kedar and Efrat was in retaliation for shootings targeting illegal settlers in February.

“The enemy seeks to harm and weaken us, but we will continue to build and develop in this land,” Bezalel Smotrich, the far-right Israeli finance minister in charge of civil affairs in the West Bank, said on 10 day expressed.

Smotrich said the buildings were added to the 18,515 housing units approved in illegal settlements last year.

The Palestinian Authority’s foreign ministry called the settlements illegal, adding that they “are a call to perpetuate the cycle of violence.”

“The ministry calls for the swift imposition of international sanctions to prevent Israel from building more settlements, including [National Security Minister Itamar] Ben-Gvir and Smotrich and any other Israeli officials who play a role in deepening and financing illegal settlements,” the ministry said in a statement.

Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, said Israel’s move “confirms the Zionist plan to control our land, confine our people and isolate them”.

See also  Iranian President Raisi vows to respond "stronger" to any "reckless" move by Israel

“We confirm that this false statement has no legal or legal basis and is nothing more than a message of contempt and recklessness,” the organization said in a statement, calling on the United Nations to “take punitive measures against this criminal entity and its Nazi elements” “. leader”.

Hamas also warned “not to remain silent on this matter” [Israel’s] exacerbating tensions and escalating violations in the region.”

The Jordanian Foreign Ministry stated that the settlements are unilateral and illegal measures that violate international law and undermine peace efforts and the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Likewise, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that it is necessary “to give hope to the Palestinian people so that they can gain the right to live in security and establish a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital, in accordance with the Arab Peace Initiative and Relevant international resolutions”.

Further back in Europe, Germany demanded that Israel withdraw the plans, adding that they constituted a “serious violation of international law.”

“We strongly condemn the decision to establish additional settlements in the West Bank,” the country’s federal foreign ministry said in a statement.

Earlier, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the plans were “illegal, disappointing and counterproductive to achieving lasting peace”.

“Our government remains firmly opposed to settlement expansion,” Blinken told a news conference in Argentina’s capital Buenos Aires last week.

“In our judgment, this will only weaken rather than strengthen Israel’s security,” he added, although he did not mention the specific consequences that Israel might face from expanding its settlements.

See also  SMUD outage map shows 61,000 people without power in Sacramento County



Source link

By Ali Raza

I am a dedicated and skilled News Content Writer with a passion for delivering accurate and engaging stories to a diverse audience. With a solid background in journalism and a keen eye for detail, I bring a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *