Many eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants will not receive awards


RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Applications are up significantly North Carolina The school voucher program means that even if the General Assembly lifts the program’s income cap, most upper-income families won’t receive financial help in the coming year. According to The News & Observer, the number of new applicants this year has increased sixfold to 72,000, and there are simply not enough funds to accommodate these applicants, all of whom are seeking subsidies to send their children to private schools through the Opportunity Scholarship Program. K-12 schools. Raleigh and WRAL-TV.

Lawmakers will also provide first-time grants in 2023 to students attending private schools.

North Carolina reports more than 400,000 people enrolled in Medicaid expansion

State law requires the program to first offer scholarships to existing voucher holders. More than 32,500 students received these certificates this year. Next are the applicants with the lowest incomes, for example, a family of four earning up to $57,720. Households earning twice that amount will be prioritized into the next group.

Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper has called for a pause in expanding the voucher program until he says public schools are fully funded. (Photo by Alison Joyce/Getty Images)

The agency said it had issued the new vouchers to more than 13,500 applicants from the lowest income brackets, with a maximum amount of $7,468 per child, according to media reports. Applicants have until April 19 to decide whether to accept the award.

Based on the numbers so far, only some applicants in the next tier will receive scholarship, said an authoritative source. These applicants are eligible for $6,722 per child. How many people will receive awards depends on how many applicants from the lowest income brackets accept their offers.

See also  Israeli troops set up checkpoint in Khan Younis in so-called 'campaign of humiliation' - Al Jazeera

The agency said there are no funds available for higher-income groups, such as a family of four making more than $115,444 a year.

Lawmakers provided $293.5 million for the program for the 2024-25 school year, The News & Observer reported. The current state budget envisions moving more public money into the scholarship fund over the next decade, reaching more than $500 million annually by the fall of 2031.

Click here to get the Fox News app

It’s still possible the General Assembly could increase voucher funding for next year to help more students. The budget adjustment meeting will begin on April 24.

Democratic Governor Roy CooperA longtime critic of the scholarships has called for a moratorium on expanding the program until he says public schools are fully funded. Republicans hold slim majorities in the House and Senate and cannot be overruled.



Source link

By Ali Raza

I am a dedicated and skilled News Content Writer with a passion for delivering accurate and engaging stories to a diverse audience. With a solid background in journalism and a keen eye for detail, I bring a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *