New ceasefire proposal sparks controversy, at least 20 dead in Gaza awaiting aid


On Thursday night, Palestinian officials and witnesses in Gaza said that at least 20 people were killed and more than 150 injured in an Israeli attack on people waiting to receive supplies from an aid convoy in the north of the enclave. The Israeli military strongly denied responsibility for the killing in a statement on Friday.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said Palestinian gunmen opened fire as crowds gathered and some civilians were run over by aid trucks.

“An in-depth preliminary review conducted overnight by the IDF found that the IDF did not fire on the aid convoy,” the statement said.

Three people interviewed by The Washington Post said they went to see the truck Thursday night and saw an Israeli helicopter and drone firing randomly at Palestinians who had gathered to receive aid. Two witnesses said they also saw armed Palestinian police, and one said officers fired into the air to control the crowd.

The massacre comes as Gaza suffers from a hunger crisis that humanitarian officials say is man-made and caused in large part by Israel’s obstruction of aid. Severe shortages and authorities’ retreat have led to desperate scrambles and chaotic scenes around aid convoys.

With limited food, medicine and other essential supplies entering Gaza by land, the United States and other countries have moved smaller supplies by air and sea.

Israel denies limiting aid to Gaza. U.N. and other aid officials say residents of the enclave could face mass starvation if a ceasefire is not achieved.

Israel’s war cabinet meets on Friday to review new ceasefire proposals Hamas. Subsequently, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said in a statement that the armed group’s demands “remain unreasonable” but that Israel would send a delegation to Qatar, which mediates ceasefire negotiations, to discuss Israel’s position.

Shortly before midnight on Friday, Gaza’s health ministry said an Israeli attack on civilians waiting for food at a Kuwaiti roundabout in northern Gaza left dozens dead and injured. People scrambled to intercept aid supplies. Al-Shifa Hospital has received 11 bodies and 100 injured, the statement said. The Health Ministry later said at least 20 people had died.

See also  Arctic explosion creates dangerous icy environment, death toll in U.S. exceeds 60

Gaza Civil Defense spokesman Mahmoud Basal said in an interview late Thursday that thousands of people who had gathered near the roundabout were forced to “go into hiding” after subsequent fire from Israeli helicopters, drones and tanks. and artillery fire. He said a shell landed on a destroyed house and people were taking shelter.

The Israel Defense Forces said in a statement that it had “facilitated the passage” of 31 trucks carrying humanitarian aid intended for residents of northern Gaza. “About an hour before they arrived at the humanitarian corridor, armed Palestinians opened fire on Gaza civilians as they waited,” the statement said.

“As the Gaza crowd began looting trucks, Palestinian gunmen continued to fire,” the statement said. It added that Israel “did not engage in tank fire, airstrikes or shootings against Gazan civilians in the aid convoy,” citing reports that Israel was responsible for the attack. Maas is responsible for the deaths caused by his “smear campaign”.

Last month, Gaza police halted efforts to secure aid in the area after multiple Israeli attacks on Gaza police forces.

Abdul Hakim Jawwad, one of the witnesses, said he left his home in the town of Beit Lahiya around 7pm after evening prayers. About an hour later, when he was about 350 feet north of Kuwait Circle, he first heard what he described as gunfire and gunfire. He then said he saw a helicopter and a quadcopter firing “shells and bullets.”

The shooting began before the truck arrived, Choward said. He said that as a truck sped through the crowd, it sometimes stopped and people clamored to jump in to grab flour or other supplies. He said the gunfire would then start again, involving an estimated seven trucks.

“Trucks run over people, too,” he said. “I was one of those people. A truck ran over my foot.”

Joward also said he saw a group of people, some of whom were armed with automatic weapons, who he identified as police. He said they “fired into the air” on several occasions to quiet the crowd, adding that he did not see Palestinians shooting at other Palestinians.

See also  Democrats breathe a sigh of relief as Manchin rules out White House bid

Another witness, Mohammed Samir Bassel, 49, from Gaza City’s Zaitoun neighborhood, told The Washington Post by phone that he saw police stationed a few meters away. Less than a mile away. Starting around 8 p.m., Israeli helicopters and drones fired regularly at the crowd, he said.

One of Jawwad’s friends, 29-year-old Mohammed Safi, also traveled to Kuwait Roundabout in search of flour. He said when the crowds first arrived, Israeli forces threw “sound bombs and smoke bombs.” “Then they started shooting.”

“Victims started being brought out,” he said.

The accounts cannot be independently verified. Late on Friday, the Israel Defense Forces released edited, grainy footage it said showed “Palestinian gunmen opening fire on Gaza civilians.”

The Washington Post could not immediately verify the location in the video or the events the IDF claimed to depict.

The United States on Friday reviewed a new proposal from Hamas to release hostages, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, and announced intense work was underway to try to reach a deal to impose a ceasefire in the war that began five months ago.

“Hamas has made a counter-proposal,” Blinken told reporters in Vienna after a day of meetings with U.N. policymakers and Austrian leaders. “I obviously can’t reveal the details.”

Hamas official Bassem Naim told The Washington Post he could not confirm specific details of the proposal but said the group was aiming for a comprehensive deal rather than a partial deal to end the fighting. “It’s either a deal or no deal,” he said.

Reuters, Indicates that the proposal has been reviewedDetails include the release of women, children and the elderly, as well as sick Israeli hostages, in exchange for 700 to 1,000 Palestinian prisoners, 100 of whom are serving life sentences, the report said.According to Israeli government data, approx. 99 hostages remain in custody in Gaza.

Michael Birnbaum, Hajar Harb, Itay Stern and Adela Suliman contributed to this report.



Source link

By Ali Raza

I am a dedicated and skilled News Content Writer with a passion for delivering accurate and engaging stories to a diverse audience. With a solid background in journalism and a keen eye for detail, I bring a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *