UN warns 5 million people in Sudan could suffer ‘catastrophic’ hunger amid war



The United Nations has warned that nearly 5 million people in Sudan are at risk of “catastrophic” hunger in the coming months and called on the country’s warring parties to allow aid to be delivered.

UN aid chief Martin Griffiths said in a report to the UN Security Council on Friday that the impact of the conflict on agricultural production, damage to key infrastructure and livelihoods, trade disruptions, severe price increases, barriers and more have caused Severe hunger. Humanitarian access and mass displacement.

“Without emergency humanitarian assistance and access to basic commodities… nearly 5 million people in parts of the country could fall into catastrophic food insecurity in the coming months,” Griffiths wrote.

As the security situation worsens, some people in West and Central Darfur may be pushed into famine, he said, adding that cross-border aid deliveries from Chad to Darfur were a “vital lifeline”.

“This is a critical moment. All parties must silence the guns, protect civilians and ensure humanitarian access,” Griffiths said in a post on X.

He noted that nearly 730,000 Sudanese children – including 240,000 in Darfur – are considered to be “severely” malnourished.

“There is an unprecedented surge in the number of treatments for severe wasting, the most lethal manifestation of malnutrition, in accessible areas,” Griffiths said.

Since last April, the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), led by General Mohammed Hamdan “Hemeti” Dagalo, have ), tens of thousands of people have died since the war broke out.

Some 8.3 million people have fled the country, with many forced into neighboring Chad and South Sudan.

See also  Pet alligator in New York impounded by state government, owner says it was 'like attacking a terrorist's home'

The United Nations earlier warned that millions of people in need were being denied aid due to the warring parties’ “deliberate” denial of supplies, which it said could constitute a war crime.

Last week, the United Nations Security Council called for a ceasefire as the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins.

The Sudanese Armed Forces have rejected the truce, saying attacks will only stop if Médecins Sans Frontières withdraws from large areas it currently controls.

Médecins Sans Frontières appears to have the upper hand in the war but has been accused of committing atrocities such as summary killings and armed robbery in provinces it controls. Women were also allegedly raped or abducted by the group or militias allied with it.

On March 12, the Sudanese Armed Forces recaptured the National Radio and Television Building in Omdurman, Sudan’s second largest city.

Griffiths earlier said humanitarian access in Sudan needed to improve regardless of whether a ceasefire was declared.

Griffiths said half of the country’s 50 million people were in need of aid and “nearly 18 million people were heading towards famine”, adding that “10 million more people were food insecure than at this time last year”.

The United Nations will fund only 4% of the $2.7 billion humanitarian relief plan for Sudan in 2024.



Source link

By Ali Raza

I am a dedicated and skilled News Content Writer with a passion for delivering accurate and engaging stories to a diverse audience. With a solid background in journalism and a keen eye for detail, I bring a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *